Friday, May 2, 2008

Tommy Bahama Golden Sun Rum and Sushi

Kim is in Florida visiting her mommy so I decided to treat myself to some Sushi from Siki on 291 HWY in Lee's Summit.

I like that place. The last time I was there, the fellow who cuts the fish (he's the owner, too) had been drinking since 9 or 10 AM. Sounds like a fun job. ;-)

So, I had a Spicy Crab salad, Red Mackerel, Salmon, Fresh Sea Eel, and Spicy Tuna Rolls. That's a lot of food; I wanted some for lunch tomorrow.

Before going to the restaurant I stopped by CVS and grabbed some beer. They had a new rum on the shelf, Tommy Bahama Golden Sun. It was about $30 and thought that my Dad might like to try it. I took it home and let the dogs out before eating.

On my way home I stopped and picked up my Dad so that we could enjoy the rum tasting. He hadn't eaten so I gave him the sushi. He doesn't eat sushi very often (this is important). After a couple of bites, he remarked that it was good.

I pointed out that the ginger was white (usually it's pink wherever I eat sushi) and said that it was really good. The wasabi (a blob about the size of a quarter) was right next to that and I think he thought I was remarking about that instead of the ginger. He ate the entire ball of wasabi with a tuna roll!

If you have never eaten wasabi, it is very important that you know about this strange substance. It is "hot" but not like chili peppers. You could put a dob on your tongue and it wouldn't particularly burn, but it would definitely clear your sinuses! Whenever I eat too much, my nose immediately clears out and my eyes water.

Dad was going nuts! "Water!"

"Pugh!" - he spit his food out.

I asked what was wrong (but I already knew). I felt pretty bad about laughing at him. He was coughing on and off for 20 minutes.

You can easily sum this up: "Stop laughing and get me some water!"

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hey hey hey! Nice blog! Welcome, young padwan.

Frog said...

Hey Ryan...Nice Blog! I'm up with the Rum Tasting, but with your Dad on the Sushi. I've done the same with wasabi, but only once! Love your blog, look forward to reading more.

Frog